A “Typical” Tuesday

Typical.

Initially, that’s how I may have described this Tuesday in October. Then, after just a few minutes to think, I realized that “typical” hardly defines what happens at Mt. Spokane High School. To be frank, it’s not an appropriate descriptor at all.

Consider for a minute what happened on this “typical” Tuesday:

* Multiple students engaged me with a “good morning”, “What’s up, Mr. Nelson?”, or a simple “Hi” as I made my way through our hallways. Always sincere, and usually delivered with a smile, these small interactions are so incredibly appreciated. I’m very thankful for our students.

* English teachers gathered to discuss their students and department before classes started. All in attendance were engaged, and their collective focus was so clearly on the well-being of our students. To say I was, and am, appreciative would be a gross understatement. I’m very thankful for our teachers.

* Throughout the day I interacted with each of our four counselors. Our discussions ranged from graduation requirements to students in crisis, and each time I left their offices I felt a sense of ease as I trust them so completely with our students. I’m very thankful for our counselors.

* Very casually, I stepped into a classroom that was supported with dedicated para-educators. Working one-on-one with students, I watched two different students open up and engage with professionals that, truly, help make our school feel the supportive way it does. I’m very thankful for our para-educators.

I could go on and on about our custodial staff, cooks, administrative assistants and specialists, (and I probably will in another blogpost), but my point is simple: Tuesday wasn’t too typical, and it’s because of the people I work with each day.

Thank you for entrusting me to do this job. What a day!

Go ‘Cats!

Darren